Earth-jewel-bullet

Art Activity- Sand Casts

I have a great summer activity for you to do with your kids. The two main things you need is a little plaster of Paris and some sand and water. This idea is something I have done myself with kids, but it was an article by Donna Erickson who has a syndicated column with family fun activities that reminded me of it. I hope you have fun. Click here to get the instructions to download and print.

Material: plaster of Paris, water, paper cup, empty quart-size (500 ml) plastic recycled food container, stick or old spoon, sand (do at the beach or use a home sandbox); optional – Paper clip (for hanger), shallow sand molds like fish, sea animals etc. or other shallow molds , natural objects such as shells, rocks, twigs, bark, driftwood

1. Make a mold in damp sand, at least 2 inches (5 cm) deep.  If doing this at the beach where there is a tide, make sure you do this where it will be above any high tide line for at least 2 hours.  If the sand is dry you can add some water to it.  You could even put sand into a pie plate or old cake pan.  You can make a free-form design with your hands or use a toy mold. Press the mold into the sand to make the shape then remove the mold.  Note: any connecting areas in your design should be at least 2 inches wide to keep the final plaster project from breaking.
  2. Add any additional details to your design.  Rocks pushed into the sand and left there will create depressions in the finished product when removed after the plaster is dry.  An item pushed into the sand and removed before you pour in the plaster will create a raised design.
  3. Natural objects can be pressed into the sand mold and either left there to be incorporated in the final project, removed (as long as no plaster is on top of the item), or used to create designs and removed as mentioned above.
  4. Pour a cup or two of water into the plastic container and add the powdered plaster according to box directions.  Stir with a stick or old spoon.  The mixture should be smooth and thick like a milkshake.  DON’T over stir. This will cause the mixture to set up too quickly and makes the final product weaker.
  5. Pour the plaster into your sand mold, spreading it evenly to all areas with the stick.  Dispose of any left-over plaster in the garbage NOT a sink or toilet
  6. If you want to have a hanger on your art, poke a paper clip halfway into the plaster at the center top as the plaster thickens. If the project is large you may need to put two paperclips evenly spaced from each other.
  7. Allow the plaster to harden for about 1 ½ hour depending on the size of the mold.  Carefully remove the plaster from the sand.  Any leftover hard plaster should also go in the garbage. Sand will be stuck in the plaster, making it look like you have a item made of sand.
  8. You can wrap your art loosely in newspaper to let it dry completely.  Carefully brush off any loose sand.  Glue on any additional decorations if you wish.

Note: This activity has been re-written from Donna’s Day Creative Family Fun by Donna Erickson.

. And please make sure you post pictures of your kids having fun doing it or at least their sand casts when they are done. Click here to get the instructions.

Posted in

Healthy Kid Play

6 Comments

1. Best SEO Company on January 23, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Awesome post! Keep up the great work! 🙂

2. AffiliateLabz on February 16, 2020 at 3:15 am

Great content! Super high-quality! Keep it up! 🙂

3. cbd on March 16, 2020 at 3:05 am

I think what you said was very logical. However, what about this?
    what if you added a little content? I am not saying your information isn’t good., but suppose
    you added a post title that grabbed people’s attention? I mean Art Activity- Sand Casts – Healthy
    Kid Play is a little plain. You ought to peek at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create news headlines to grab people
    interested. You might add a video or a related picture or
    two to get people excited about everything’ve got to say.
    Just my opinion, it would make your blog a little livelier.

4. cbd on March 16, 2020 at 3:16 am

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am going through problems with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anybody
    having similar RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer
    can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

5. cbd on March 16, 2020 at 3:16 am

What i don’t realize is actually how you are now
    not really much more smartly-liked than you may be right now.
    You’re so intelligent. You realize thus considerably on the subject of this matter, made
    me in my opinion believe it from numerous varied angles.
    Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested until it
    is something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs nice.
    Always handle it up!

• Healthy Kid Play on March 17, 2020 at 11:05 pm

thanks for your three comments. I appreciate the thoughts you shared. I’m curious when you mentioned my “Additional Activity” about Sand Casts as a post title were you referring to the activity title on the Additional Activity page, or did you see a this “post title” somewhere else? I like the idea of creating a more interesting title, for sure. Will have to look into this. My original thoughts for this page was just to provide some extra activities, similar to what can be found in my book, not so much as a “blog”. As for the RSS issue, I have asked GoDaddy about it so hope to find out what that problem is. I have just discovered, having tried to purchase my book, that the website payment page would not accept my payment, so if that is your problem, I’m sorry. Hopefully this can be straightened out soon. once again, thanks for your comments.